A-League

All Right, You’re Next: Now It’s Melbourne Victory’s Turn To Face The Music From FFA

A supporter removes a flare after it was ignited in the Melbourne Victory supporters area of the crowd during the round 19 A-League match between Melbourne City FC and Melbourne Victory at AAMI Park on February 13, 2016 in Melbourne, Australia. February 13, 2016| Credit: Scott Barbour
All Right, You’re Next: Now It’s Melbourne Victory’s Turn To Face The Music From FFA

Disgusted at being kicked in the teeth again by unruly football fans on behalf of Football Federation Australia, David Gallop, the FFA CEO, issued a show cause notice to Kevin Muscat’s Melbourne Victory asking why they shouldn’t be sanctioned for their misbehavior last weekend against Melbourne City at AAMI Park.

“FFA has today issued Melbourne Victory with a Show Cause Notice after receiving detailed information from Victoria Police and others that identifies some Melbourne Victory supporters as taking part in actions that have cast a shadow on football,” said Gallop. “The timing of these incidents has shocked many people given the acute focus on these issues.

“No one could have missed the fact that FFA, our clubs, players and coaches have been explicitly clear in our condemnation of actions over the last week around the ignition of flares. We must continue to hold the safety and enjoyment of true football fans at the heart of our decisions. The reaction of a section of Melbourne Victory fans, players and coaches on Saturday night has again sent a clear message that this minority is not welcome.”

“We are astounded that some mindless individuals, particularly given the focus of the matter throughout the week, decided to act in an anti-social manner in and around the game on Saturday night,” said Victory CEO Ian Robson. “As a club, we have been steadfast in our views in removing all anti-social behaviour, specifically the ignition of flares, from our games. Players, coaches and officials were again clear on our stance in the week leading up to the Derby, which makes this behaviour even more perplexing.

“The people involving themselves in this behaviour are not fans of our club or the game. They are not welcome and we do not want them involved. We take the matters of Saturday night very seriously and will be reviewing all of the matters raised in the show cause notice, before we respond to FFA.

“Further, we will also be reviewing all facets of our match day operations to heighten our vigilance in eradicating this behaviour. We are determined not to have the actions of a small reckless minority compromise the identity of Melbourne Victory Football Club and all that our club stands for. We remain committed to ensuring the safety of all members and fans, and providing them with the best possible match day experience at our games.”

Keep it right here on The Stoppage Time, powered by Azteca Soccer, for more A-League news. Stay connected on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

A-League
@joryansalazar

Jo-Ryan Salazar is a writer for The Stoppage Time, a soccer blog powered by Azteca Soccer. A supporter of the Los Angeles Galaxy since 1996 and a committed supporter since 2002, Jo-Ryan also follows Chelsea FC, Melbourne Victory, FC Tokyo and Paris Saint-Germain. Apart from soccer, Jo-Ryan is an administrative assistant for a local nonprofit in Long Beach, California and also does photography, photo-editing and fictional writing.

More in A-League