Transfer Rumors

CSL: Are China’s Dragons Looking For The Likes Of…Lionel Messi!?

PAMPLONA, SPAIN - DECEMBER 10: Lionel Messi of FC Barcelona reacts during the La Liga match between CA Osasuna and FC Barcelona at Estadio Reyno de Navarra on December 10, 2016 in Pamplona, Spain. (Photo by Juan Manuel Serrano Arce/Getty Images)
CSL: Are China’s Dragons Looking For The Likes Of…Lionel Messi!?

The Chinese Super League is waging war on Europe by winning the rights of a number of top players. We are going to give you some clips on some big names that could be heading to the big dragons of Asia this January. Antonio Conte, in his own words, is adamant that the CSL is getting too good for its own good…money-wise.

 

“When there are incredible situations, it’s very difficult to manage this,” said Conte. “Very difficult – and every player must decide his own future. But my style is to take always the decision together with the club and to understand also some strange situations, some massive offers. I talked to the board and explained my thoughts. Sometimes it’s important also to be ‘linked’ with the club to take the best decision, to understand sometimes if the situation can penalise you. But you have to take the best decision for the club. There are situations that are amazing and it’s very difficult to try to solve the situation in the best way.”

“Revitalising soccer is a must to build China into a sports powerhouse as part of the Chinese dream,” said China president Xi Jinping. “It is also what the people desire.”

 

The dominoes are already falling into place, and January isn’t for a few weeks. Alexis Sanchez could be heading to China, among notable faces with Hebei China Fortune interested in his services.

“If Arsenal are looking and the Chinese are coming in with those kind of offers, I reckon that’s £80m for Sanchez. That’s Arsenal’s get out,” Ray Wilkins told talkSPORT. “He epitomises what a footballer should be. His work ethic, his ability is superb.”

 

Chelsea are set to send Oscar to Shanghai SIPG, now under the tutelage of Andre Villas-Boas, according to the Independent.

Andre Villas-Boas, who is currently in charge at Shanghai SIPG, is known to be an admirer of the player and previously attempted to sign him for Tottenham in the summer of 2012. Having drifted to the periphery of the Chelsea squad in recent months, Oscar has played only 36 minutes this season under manager Antonio Conte.

With the prospect of a fresh start, guaranteed first-team football and a multi-million bumper package, Oscar is believed to be open to the prospect of moving to China. If the deal is finalised, the Brazilian will become the most expensive player to leave the club since his compatriot David Luiz joined Paris Saint-Germain in 2014 for £40m.

 

Also considered to be moving east to China is Cesc Febregas, another Chelsea outcast. However, there seems to be a roadblock, according to ESPN FC, and an understandable one, given how well the Blues are doing in the Premier League.

Cesc Fabregas could follow Chelsea teammate Oscar in moving to the Chinese Super League, but the Premier League leaders aren’t willing to sanction the midfielder’s departure until the summer.

The Spaniard has not been able to command a regular place in Antonio Conte’s lineup this season and has made only seven appearances. But Fabregas showed his worth by helping to create Diego Costa’s winning goal against West Bromwich Albion on Sunday before scoring the only goal as Chelsea overcame Sunderland on Wednesday.

The Mail claims that Guangzhou Evergrande is a likely destination for the 29-year-old, who could command a fee of as much as £40 million.

 

Paris Saint-Germain could be entering a season of regression if they lose Edinson Cavani to Chinese rising power Tianjin Songjian. Cavani’s off-the-charts production is the one reason why they are still in the hunt to defend their domestic trophies (they already have retained the Trophee Des Champions for this year).

PSG striker Edinson Cavani has become the latest big name linked with the lucrative Chinese Super League revolution, as Tianjin Songjiang prepare a whopping €55m offer. Songjiang, who are managed by former Italian World Cup winner Fabio Cannavaro, have identified the Uruguay international as their prime target and will, of course, try to entice the player and his team with a mega-bucks salary package.

 

Already Carlos Tevez has booked a big payday in China, having signed with Shanghai Shenhua, according to the Sun. He will be paid £615,000 per week over two years.

The lure of the vast riches on offer in the Far East have proved too much for the Argentine hitman who is expected to sign a two-year deal estimated to be worth a staggering £65million, more than £600,000 per week.

 

But the biggest surprise coming from China is that of Lionel Messi. A 500 million-euro deal from Hebei China Fortune, managed by Manuel Pellegrini, is challenging FC Barcelona‘s negotiations with extended the current contract of Barca’s golden boy of record. From Goal.com…

The Argentina captain could pocket an astronomical sum should he choose to join Manuel Pellegrini in the Super League, although he is currently in talks over a new Barcelona deal A Chinese Super League club will try and hijack Lionel Messi’s contract negotiations with Barcelona with a stunning offer worth half a billion euros, according to AS.

The Argentine is currently in talks over extending his deal at the Camp Nou, which he has called home since the age of 13. Hebei China Fortune, however, are mulling over a bid that would be hard to refuse. Reports suggest the club currently coached by Manuel Pellegrini could offer a five-year contract to the star, who would receive an incredible €100 million per term.

China’s spending big and this is a war with Europe that will require plenty of tubs of popcorn and maybe some pats of butter on the side.

Keep it here on The Stoppage Time, powered by Azteca Soccer, for all of your soccer news. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

  • JoRyanSalazar

    For the record, I would love Nasser to lay the hammer down on China’s Cavani suitors and demand 1 billion euros up front or no deal.

Transfer Rumors
@joryansalazar

Jo-Ryan Salazar is a writer for The Stoppage Time, a soccer blog powered by Azteca Soccer. A supporter of the Los Angeles Galaxy since 1996 and a committed supporter since 2002, Jo-Ryan also follows Chelsea FC, Melbourne Victory, FC Tokyo and Paris Saint-Germain. Apart from soccer, Jo-Ryan is an administrative assistant for a local nonprofit in Long Beach, California and also does photography, photo-editing and fictional writing.

More in Transfer Rumors