Bruce Arena’s Los Angeles Galaxy host Caleb Porter’s Portland Timbers in a matchup of the last two MLS Cup Champions at StubHub Center in Carson, California. The LA Galaxy are coming off a scoreless draw with the Vancouver Whitecaps, while Portland are coming off a tough road loss to Orlando City. Here are the match details, from MLSSoccer.com…
A high-profile meeting of Western Conference powers will be featured on MLS Soccer Sunday when the LA Galaxy play host to the Portland Timbers at StubHub Center before an FS1 audience. MLS Cup champions three of the last five seasons, the Galaxy return home after gaining a scoreless draw at Vancouver Whitecaps FC at BC Place last weekend. The defending MLS Cup champion Timbers are coming off their second away defeat of the season, falling 4-1 at Orlando City SC at the Citrus Bowl last Sunday.
- The Galaxy return home following their second shutout on the road this season, playing to a scoreless draw with Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Saturday evening at BC Place. The Galaxy have scored seven goals in two home wins this year.
- The Timbers suffered their second consecutive loss on the road and saw their winless run stretched to three games, following their 4-1 defeat at Orlando City SC on Sunday evening.
- The teams evenly split their three meetings last season – each scoring five goals in winning one contest. The Galaxy had five different players score in a 5-0 victory June 24 at StubHub Center; Fanendo Adi netted yet another brace as the Timbers rolled to a 5-2 win Oct. 18 in Carson. The teams reached a 2-2 draw March 15 in the lone meeting at Providence Park.
- The Timbers victory in the last encounter snapped a five-game winless streak vs. the Galaxy (0-3-2). It was also the Timbers first win ever at StubHub Center; the Galaxy won six of the first seven meetings there, with one draw.
- The Galaxy haven’t won on their last four trips to Portland, with the last two ending in draws. The only Galaxy victory all-time in Portland came July 14, 2012 – a 5-3 victory.
REFEREE: Allen Chapman. AR1 (bench): Frank Anderson; AR2 (opposite): Mike Kampmeinert; 4th: Kevin Stott
MLS Career: 73 games; FC/gm: 23.5; Y/gm: 3.7; R: 17; pens: 30
DISABLED LIST: none
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none
ALL-TIME (14 meetings): Galaxy 6 wins, 28 goals — Timbers 4 wins, 21 goals — Ties 4
AT LA (8 meetings): Galaxy 5 wins, 19 goals — Timbers 1 win, 9 goals — Ties 2
RETURN MATCHES: 7/23: Portland Timbers vs. LA Galaxy, 12:30 p.m. PT
LAST YEAR (MLS):
3/15: POR 2, LA 2 (Adi 31, 90– Zardes 65; Gordon 92+)
6/24: LA 5, POR 0 (Lletget 13; Keane 18; Rogers 33; Juninho 72; Villarreal 88)
10/18: LA 2, POR 5 (Keane 36, 84 — Adi 65, 68; Chara 74; Nagbe 85; Urruti 90)
- Coaches record: Caleb Porter vs. LA: P9 W3 L2 T4 — Bruce Arena vs. POR: P14 W6 L4 T4
Kickoff is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. PT/9:30 p.m. ET. The live blog is scheduled to start at 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET. Keep it right here on The Stoppage Time, powered by Azteca Soccer, for more world football news. Stay connected on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.