Bruce Arena’s LA Galaxy and Jeff Cassar’s Real Salt Lake clash on Wednesday, Oct. 26 at StubHub Center in Carson, Calif. in the 2016 MLS Cup Playoffs Knockout Round. A Galaxy win means LA face the Colorado Rapids, while RSL face FC Dallas should they pull off the scalp. The match preview, from MLSSoccer.com.
LA Galaxy Snapshot
- 2016 Regular Season Finish: West No. 3 seed (12-6-16 record, 52 pts / 8-1-8 home record)
- Current Form: D-W-L-L-D
- Strengths: Experience, star power, combined with a club with considerable recent experience winning MLS Cup (2011, 2012, 2014).
- Weaknesses: Inconsistency, injuries, suspensions throughout the season
- Injuries/Suspensions: Gyasi Zardes (foot) – status unknown; Steven Gerrard (hamstring) – status unknown; Robbie Keane (undisclosed injury) – status unknown
- Player to Watch: Giovani dos Santos: Galaxy’s MVP candidate will be called upon to raise his game in MLS to even greater heights
- Probable Starting XI: Brian Rowe; Robbie Rogers, AJ DeLaGarza, Jelle Van Damme, Ashley Cole; Baggio Husidic, Jeff Larentowicz; Landon Donovan, Giovani dos Santos, Sebastian Lletget; Robbie Keane
Real Salt Lake Snapshot
- 2016 Regular Season Finish: West No. 6 seed (12-12-10 record, 46 pts / 4-11-2 away record)
- Current Form: L-D-L-D-L
- Strengths: Experience through the spine of the team, combined with balanced play; At their best, entire team plays good defense and is involved in numbers in attack.
- Weaknesses: Inability to score in final months of season; No wins since Aug. 24.
- Injuries/Suspensions: Aaron Maund (toe) — Out; Jeff Attinella (elbow) — Out; Emery Welshman (hip) — Out; Yura Movsisyan (heel) — Probable
- Player to Watch: Joao Plata: The diminuitive attacker has been capable of carrying RSL’s attack at times. They may need that kind of effort out of him against LA.
- Probable Starting XI: Nick Rimando; Tony Beltran, Jamison Olave, Justen Glad, Chris Wingert; Kyle Beckerman, Luke Mulholland, Sunny Stephen; Juan Manuel Martinez, Yura Movsisyan, Joao Plata
Referee: Alan Kelly
Assistant Referees: Matthew Nelson (AR1-bench); Brian Dunn (AR2-opposite)
4th Official: Kevin Stott
LA vs. RSL Head-to-Head
All-Time (33 meetings):
LA Galaxy 13 wins, 51 goals • Real Salt Lake 12 wins, 53 goals • Ties 8
All-Time Playoff Meetings:
LA 3 wins • Real Salt Lake 1 win • Ties 1
All-Time in LA (17 meetings):
LA Galaxy 10 wins, 29 goals • Real Salt Lake 6 wins, 26 goals • Ties 1
2016 Meetings (2 meetings):
LA 5, RSL 2 (Apr. 23); RSL 3, LA 3 (Sept. 7)
Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. PT/10:30 p.m. ET. The Live Blog begins at 5 p.m. PT/8 p.m. ET. Keep it right here on The Stoppage Time, powered by Azteca Soccer, for more world football news. Stay connected on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.