Bruce Arena’s LA Galaxy will look to wrap up qualification for the 2016 MLS Cup Playoffs on Sunday, Sept. 24 when they face Brian Schmetzer’s Seattle Sounders at StubHub Center in Seattle, Wash. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. PT/4 p.m. ET. The live blog starts at 11 a.m. PT/2 p.m. ET. The match preview, from MLSSoccer.com.
LA GALAXY vs. SEATTLE SOUNDERS
StubHub Center | Carson, Calif.
Sunday, Sept. 25 | Week #29 | MLS Game #301
4 pm ET (ESPN in the US, MLS LIVE in Canada)
If the Seattle Sounders are to keep their playoff hopes alive for another week, they’ll have to pick up a result in one of MLS’ most difficult environments.
The seventh-place Sounders, who are five points behind Sporting Kansas City but hold two games in hand on both the sixth-place club and fifth-place Portland, will travel to LA this weekend for a nationally-televised encounter at the Galaxy.
Seattle won’t be eliminated from playoff contention with a loss on Saturday, but failing to pick up a point at StubHub Center would severely lessen their chances of qualifying for their eighth-straight postseason. Unfortunately for them, LA – who are unbeaten in their last six – are perhaps the top team in the league at home, posting a 8-0-7 record at StubHub Center in 2016 and a 42-5-18 mark with a +92 goal differential in LA over the last four seasons.
The Galaxy have plenty to play for, as well, as the second-place club will clinch a playoff berth with a win against the Sounders. LA will also be looking to consolidate their top-two position in the West with an eye on a first-round bye in the upcoming MLS Cup Playoffs.
- Landon Donovan scored his MLS all-time leading 145th league goal in the second game of his return from retirement, as the Galaxy reached a 2-2 draw with Sporting Kansas City on Sunday afternoon at Children’s Mercy Park.
- Jordan Morris scored the 10th goal in his rookie season – his fifth game-winning goal – as Sounders FC snapped a three-game winless run with a 1-0 victory against Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Saturday afternoon at CenturyLink Field.
- The teams are meeting for the third time this season. Robbie Keane scored the game’s lone goal to give the Galaxy the victory July 9 at CenturyLink Field. On July 31 at CenturyLink Field, Cristian Roldan gave Sounders FC a first-half lead, but Sebastian Lletget netted the equalizer 12 minutes from time to leave the teams in a 1-1 draw.
- Sounders FC have not won at the Galaxy since 2009, now 11 trips in league and MLS Cup play without a win.
- The teams have met four times in the last six seasons in the MLS Cup Playoffs, including in the Knockout Round last year; last year’s victory was the first time Sounders FC have advanced.
- The teams also met this year in a US Open Cup quarterfinal on July 20, the Galaxy coming back for a 4-2 win at the StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. Giovani dos Santos netted the equalizer late in the second half, then Sebastian Lletget scored twice in the final minutes to put the game away.
Keep it right here on The Stoppage Time, powered by Azteca Soccer, for more world football news. Stay connected on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.