Bruce Arena’s Los Angeles Galaxy face Caleb Porter’s Portland Timbers in a massive MLS Western Conference showdown on Saturday afternoon. The Galaxy are coming off a scrappy 4-2 victory over the Seattle Sounders in the US Open Cup, while Portland are also coming off a victory over Seattle, albeit 3-1 in MLS play at home. The match details, from MLSSoccer.com.
— LA Galaxy (@LAGalaxy) July 23, 2016
- Diego Valeri scored a pair of goals as the Timbers extended their undefeated streak to nine games with a 3-1 win against arch-rivals Seattle Sounders FC on Sunday afternoon at Providence Park. Valeri is now tied for fourth in the MLS Golden Boot standings, one goal behind teammate Fanendo Adi, who scored his 10th goal of the season in the contest.
- The Galaxy won their third consecutive game – all by shutout – and extended their undefeated run to five games in league play in a 1-0 win against the Houston Dynamo on Friday evening at StubHub Center. Steven Gerrard scored the game’s lone goal; he has a goal and three assists over the last four games.
- The teams are meeting for the second time this season. Fanendo Adi gave the Timbers the lead early in the second half, but an own goal pulled the Galaxy level late as the teams reached a 1-1 draw April 10 at StubHub Center.
- The Galaxy haven’t won on their last four trips to Portland, with the last two ending in draws. The only Galaxy victory all-time in Portland came July 14, 2012 – a 5-3 victory.
- The Timbers have won once all-time in Carson, a 5-2 win last Oct. 18 in the final meeting between the teams, that win also snapping a five-game winless streak vs. the Galaxy. The Galaxy have won five of nine meetings there, with two draws.
Kickoff at Providence Park in Portland, Ore. is scheduled for 12:30 p.m. PT/3:30 p.m. ET. The Live Blog of #PORvLA is scheduled to start at 10 a.m. PT/1 p.m. ET. Keep it right here on The Stoppage Time, powered by Azteca Soccer, for more world football news. Stay connected on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube page.