John van’t Schip’s high-flying Melbourne City Football Club are now the toast of Australia’s sporting capital in the world game these days. After a landmark 3-2 victory over Melbourne City at home, they hit the road to face Kenny Lowe’s Perth Glory Football Club, who were smashed 3-1 and played a man down to Adelaide United. Kickoff at nib Stadium in Perth, Western Australia is scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 16 at 2:40 a.m. PT/5:40 a.m. ET/6:40 p.m. AWST.
Bruno Fornaroli is the A-League’s top goalscorer at 12 goals, but right hand man, Harry Novillo, knows a thing or two about producing in the clutch.
“Im really really happy, all the team is happy and now we have to look forward to next week,” Novillo said. “The win was really important for our minds because the championship is hard and we are at the halfway mark, we have 14 games to play and it was a great win for the mentality.
“This week shows we just have to continue to work hard like the last few weeks. We’re just focused on the team and winning every week.
“We do a lot of work during and after training with the keepers to try to score goals like that but it was a really good goal. (With the celebration) I thought I was going to slide but I was so tired, I thought about nothing and I just jumped like my happiness was exploding. It’s the best feeling, you feel free, you feel important, when you score a goal like that, you feel alive.”
Here are our predictions for this weekend’s encounter between Perth Glory and Melbourne City.
- Ante Covic will make at least four saves.
- Thomas Sorenson will make under four saves.
- Under 10,000 will be in attendance.
- No goals will be scored by Perth Glory.
- Harry Novillo will score for Melbourne City.
- Bruno Fornaroli will score for Melbourne City.
- Aaron Mooy will score for Melbourne City.
- Erik Paartalu will score for Melbourne City.
- A goal will be scored in the first 20 minutes.
- A goal will be scored in the last 15 minutes and stoppage time.
This is a walk in the park for Melbourne City at nib Stadium. Anything less than a comprehensive shutout would be a shocker for City, this will be another three points in the bag.
Melbourne City 4, Perth Glory 0